Smashed Summer Burgers
Nothing says easy summer living better than feasting alfresco on a really fabulous burger after a long sunny day at the beach or on the boat. Most people can make a decent burger but few can make a memorably great burger. We believe we have found the secret by combining technique tips from J. Kenji López-Alt’s award-winning The Food Lab cookbook with our Coastal Goods BURGER BLISS seasoning. Trust us, our SMASHED SUMMER BURGERS are quite simply life-changing!
- 1 1/4 pounds freshly ground beef (we recommend a mix of chuck, sirloin, and brisket with a 20% fat content)
- 2 tablespoons Coastal Goods BURGER BLISS seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- Toasted Buns, sliced cheese, tomatoes, onions, and favorite burger condiments, for serving
- Place the ground beef in a mixing bowl and mix the BURGER BLISS seasoning and salt evenly into the meat. Divide evenly and form into 4 hockey-puck- shaped patties. Place on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer the burgers to the freezer for 15 minutes before you plan on cooking them. Meanwhile, prepare a grill for cooking over high heat or if preferred, the burgers may be cooked on the stovetop, since the smashing technique requires cooking the burgers in a cast iron skillet as opposed to grilling them directly over the flames.
- Film a 10-inch cast iron skillet with a scant tablespoon of vegetable or canola oil. Place over high heat directly on the grill or a stovetop burner and heat until the pan begins to smoke. Place the slightly frozen, hockey-puck- shaped burgers in the hot cast iron skillet. Oil the bottom of another small, heavy skillet and press on each burger to smash it down with the back of this skillet. The meat should be smashed down to a thickness between ¼-and- 1/2-inch. Cook until a lovely crust forms, about 1-½ minutes. Flip the burgers over and cook 45 seconds to 1 minute more. If you wish to make cheeseburgers, place thin slices of your cheese-of- choice on the burgers immediately after flipping them.
- Tuck the burgers into the toasted buns and embellish with your favorite burger condiments. Devour!