Rustic Cinnamon Sugar Apple Galette
Reduced-sugar fruit desserts are currently all the rage and with good reason: Using less sugar allows vibrant fruit flavor to shine through in a way that wows the palate.. Our lovely and irresistible Thanksgiving Apple Galette is sweetened with only 3 tablespoons of Coastal Goods intensely aromatic Cinnamon Toast Sugar & Spice blend. While this blend was originally conceived to celebrate the outstanding quality of Vietnamese cinnamon and designed for sprinkling on buttered toast, we have grown to love pairing it with a wide spectrum of autumnal fruits.
- 1 ½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup ice water
Apple filling and glaze:
- 5 large Golden Delicious apples
- 4 tablespoons apple cider
- 3 tablespoons Coastal Goods Cinnamon Toast Sugar & Spice blend
- 1 tablespoon unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into very small cubes
- 1/3 cup apricot or red currant jelly
- Make the pastry crust: Place the flour, sugar, and butter in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, 7 to 10 seconds. Sprinkle the ice water over the mixture and pulse the machine on and off until the pastry just begins to clump together. Gather the pastry together on a lightly floured work surface and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake the galette, preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Make the apple filling: Peel and core the apples and then slice them into thin wedges. You will not be able to make perfect wedges from all of the slices and those that are misshapen should be cut into ¼-inch dice and placed in a separate bowl. Place all of the remaining intact slices in a larger mixing bowl. Toss the diced apples with 1-½ tablespoons of the cider and 1 tablespoon of the Cinnamon Toast Sugar & Spice. Toss the apple slices with 2 ½ tablespoons apple cider, 2 tablespoons Cinnamon Toast Sugar & Spice, and the 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Roll the pastry dough out into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Carefully transfer the pastry circle to a parchment-lined sheet pan. Scatter the chopped apples over the pastry to within 1-to-1 ½-inches of the edge. Decoratively arrange the apples slices in concentric, overlapping circles over the chopped apples. Fold the pastry edge up and over the outermost apple slices to create a 1-inch border. Dot the galette filling with the cubes of butter.
- Bake the galette in the center of the oven until the pastry is golden brown and the apples are tender and beginning to caramelize, 40 to 50 minutes. While the galette is baking, place the jelly in a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until melted, 3 to 4 minutes. Keep warm. Brush the warm jelly over the top of the sliced apples as soon as the galette comes out of the oven. Let the galette cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Serves 6 to 8