Marscarpone Mashed Potatoes with Fleur de Sel and Peppercorns
This is the one side dish that is always on our Thanksgiving menu, and often our Christmas menu, too. While these may well be some of the best mashed potatoes you’ll ever taste, they garner even more accolades because the recipe can be made up to two days in advance of serving. The rich decadence of the preparation calls for seasoning the mash with Coastal Goods premium Fleur de Sel and Peppercorn blend. Speaking of decadence, substituting truffle butter for the regular butter in the recipe will deliver the ne plus ultra of mashed potatoes to your appreciative family and friends.
- 3 ½ to 4 pounds all-purpose or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or truffle butter, at room temperature
- 12 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup snipped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon Coastal Goods Fleur de Sel and Peppercorn blend (or slightly more or less to taste)
- 1 cup freshly and finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- Fill a large pot with enough water to come up to the bottom of a round steamer insert. Arrange the potatoes on top of the steamer and steam them, covered, over medium-high heat until very tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes well and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the butter into the hot potatoes until melted and incorporated. Add the mascarpone, chives, and Fleur de Sel and Peppercorn Continue beating until the potatoes are thoroughly mashed and the entire mixture is smooth and fluffy, about 1 ½-to-2 minutes.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a lightly buttered and shallow 2-quart gratin dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly over the top and then dust lightly with the paprika. At this point, the Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes may be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 48 hours before baking.
- When ready to cook, bring the dish of mashed potatoes to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Bake the mashed potatoes in the oven until beautifully puffed and golden brown on top, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve hot.
Serves 8 to 10