“Greek To Me” Garden Salad
This is our favorite way of making an authentic Greek Salad. We take a wee bit of poetic license with the classic rendition by using a sweet yellow bell pepper rather than a green one, soaking the red onion slivers in red wine vinegar to mellow their raw pungency, and heightening all the garden-fresh flavors with a generous sprinkling of our herbaceous Greek To Me seasoning blend. The result is a gorgeously refreshing and healthy vegetable salad that we crave several times a week throughout the summer season.
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 medium-size vine-ripened summer tomatoes
- 1 ½ garden cucumbers, unwaxed, about 8 to 9 inches long
- 1 small yellow bell pepper
- 15 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 to 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, preferably from Greece
- 2 teaspoons Coastal Goods Greek To Me seasoning blend
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6-ounce block of feta cheese, cut into 3 or 4 triangular wedges
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh oregano, for garnishing
- Twenty minutes before assembling the salad, combine the red onion slices with ¼ cup of the red wine vinegar in a shallow dish. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Core the tomatoes and cut them into 1-to- 1 ½-inch wedges. Peel theskin from cucumbers completely or in stripes, if desired. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then slice into ½-inch- thick semi-circles. Stem and remove the seeds from the yellow pepper and then slice into thin rings. Place all of the vegetables in a large, shallow serving dish. Drain the red onion slices, add to the bowl, and toss all gently together until evenly combined. Scatter the olives evenly over the top.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the remaining 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 4 tablespoons olive oil. Season with the Greek To Me seasoning blend and salt and pepper to taste. Taste and add a bit more olive oil, if too acidic.
- Arrange the feta wedges on top of the vegetables and scatter the coarsely chopped fresh oregano over the salad. Drizzle a bit more olive oil directly over the feta wedges and serve at once.