Chili with Nantucket Red Chili
A very basic recipe for chili crafted from ground meat and canned beans can go from ho-hum to magically memorable when seasoned to perfection. Coastal Goods Nantucket Red Chili Seasoning Blend makes the simmering easy and the outcome wonderfully delicious. Our go-to recipe is simple enough to allow for putting extra time, energy, and creativity into chili embellishments. Go overboard with fresh salsa, diced avocado, crunchy tortilla chips, minced scallions, shredded sharp cheddar, sour cream, and lots of fresh cilantro!
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, minced
- 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 poblano pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons Coastal Goods Nantucket Red Chili Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 1 cup robust red wine
- ½ cup beef stock
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) pinto, cannellini, or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ½ ounces) hominy, drained
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, sturdy pot. Add the onion and peppers and sauté until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and Nantucket Red Chili Seasoning, and cumin seeds if using; sauté a minute or so more.
- Crumble the ground beef into the pot and cook, continuing to crumble the meat with the back of a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, and stock. Season with salt to taste. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Mix in the canned beans along with the hominy. Stir to incorporate evenly throughout the chili. Cook 10 minutes more. Serve with an extravaganza of favorite chili toppings.